Sunday 9 November 2014

Visualisation assignment: Help for Heroes Commemorative Medal

For the first three weeks in the second year of university, we were working towards improving our idea generation skills, the way we communicate ideas and how we visualise our designs. At the same time, the briefs we had made us think about our ethical standards as they did confront our principles and questioned if we could work for a client whose products/services we do not agree with. 

For the first brief, I was required to design a collectors medal for Help the Heroes, along with a presentation case and a leaflet detailing where the British military are active. Also, I had to make sure “Ego auxiliatus Heros” [I helped a Hero] was on the back of the medal, along with the soldiers name and service number. The only thing I felt unsure about was that the metal obtained to craft the medal would be used from the battle kit of the servicemen and women killed or wounded in action. I am not 100% fine using metal from dead soldiers battle kits but I would not reject work to do this as the soldiers know the risks when they are fighting the enemy. If it was metal used from the 9/11 tragedy for example, then I would not work for that client as the victims were innocent people involved in a horrible situation. That would be disrespectful in my opinion.

As for my ideas generation, I started with drawing some designs for the medal. I liked the idea of a soldier saluting on the front and a laurel wreath going around to represent recognition for the soldiers. For the rear, I preferred the quote to circulate around the top half of the medal with the service number and name of the soldier below. 



Next, I thought about the ribbon to attach on the medal. I considered military ribbons like the Victoria Cross but in the end I thought the British flag would be suitable for the product. 


After this, I moved onto creating a presentation case for the medal. I liked the idea of the case being used to display the medal along with keeping the product safe.



With the medal designs completed, I considered the layout of the leaflet. In the end, I thought about having both spreads showing the Western and Eastern countries, with arrows detailing the places the military are based at. 



Following from completing my designs, I added colour to my best ideas. The design of the medal looks great as it is simple, nothing is too close or clashing and the design is a fitting tribute to the men and women of the military. 


Having included colour to the ribbon, this will be a stand out feature that adds vibrancy to the overall package. The flag will also be presented horizontally as the flag works best this way.


Next, I added colour to the outside box. I tried black and brown out but I preferred the black as the box appeared classier in this colour and felt it would suit the medal. 


I also considered the colour of the text on the medal box. I tried silver and gold but thought the silver links well with the colour of the medal and was better readability wise. Alongside this, I designed a net for the box. I am confident it would fit together.


Satisfied with the packaging and design of the medal, I added colour to the leaflet. The background will be light blue to represent the sea with the green being the countries. I think this design is interesting, with the layout different compared to three column grid layouts.


These are my final design ideas for the medal. The colours are balanced well against each other, the images can be seen clearly and the black case appears very professional with the medal and flag inside. I am very happy with these!


It has been an intense week completing these designs but it has been good to get a feeling of what it would be like to work in a graphic design studio. I am interested to see how the next two briefs go...

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment