Monday 22 September 2014

Graphic Design Summer brief: Task 2

Completing the second task of my Graphics Summer brief, I was required to read Milton Glaser's essay Ambiguity & Truth, along with other readings. These were very enjoyable to read and did raise significant questions about adverts 'lying' to customers. From that, I would need to explain in no more than 150 words what are my ethical boundaries and where I would draw the line. Below is my statement:

"I would not offer my services as a graphic designer to a client whose business has a history of causing further monetary problems for consumers, rather than solving short debt issues as advertised. I would also not work for political candidates who consistently lie in their policies to profit themselves and their colleagues than benefit the general public. As well as this, I could not work for certain newspapers that have a history in publishing news articles that are either false or pointless, or organisations that promote hate crimes by using stories published by the media to spin certain opinions about minority groups. Furthermore, I could not work for a company knowing full well that it has not tested its product(s) for consumers thoroughly to cut costs, which could lead to the product(s) causing serious injury or death."

Already, I am already looking forward to the tasks in year 2 as it has been interesting analysing my core beliefs as a graphic designer. 

I have one more task to complete then the Summer brief is completed. I will post it on here in the next week or two.

Mike  

References


Milton Glaser’s Essay “Ambiguity & Truth”

https://gimmebar.com/view/4e606a742f0aaad90e000000

http://www.metropolismag.com/August-2003/An-Interview-with-Milton-Glaser/

http://www.aiga.org/ethics-and-social-responsibility/

No comments:

Post a Comment