Monday 12 May 2014

Conclusion of the reportage photography project

So today I have handed in my last photography project of my 1st year at university. I have found it tough trying to select 12 photos for final prints (my tutor allowed the increase from 8) and I feel I have managed to convey the local market scene with these images.



These are my favourite shots from the 1st shoot at the market. I am confident that I captured a wide variety of what was on show, such as sellers aiming to sell their products and buyers trying to look for a bargain. I thought at the time trying to select 8 photos was going to be very difficult! 


These are my favourite shots from the 2nd shoot. I did find selecting unique scenes harder as I felt I had covered most of the areas in the market in the first shoot. On the other hand, new activities like a live music band where a great opportunity to capture, which in turn will add diversity to my final prints. Again, trying to select 8 images was going to be hard!


Following from selecting my favourite pictures from the 1st shoot contact prints, I edited the ones that could be chosen for the final prints. There are a few that have caught my eye, like the woman scrolling through the clothes, the Mod fan and the women checking out a large piece of meat. With the rest of the photos I found I needed to be very critical in reducing the final prints, as at the time I was being too open-minded.


These contact prints show all the edited pictures from the 2nd shoot contact print. I was adamant in selecting a picture of a musician, along with pictures of the bearded man and the other gentleman checking out some cheese being cemented for final prints. I did ask my peers and tutors for assistance in helping me select the final few...


My original intention was not to use this picture for a final print, but after getting feedback from peers and tutors, this proved to be a favourite with everyone, with the knitted scarf being a stand out feature. What was also pointed out that he had wool products in the background, which implies that he is wearing what is being sold. Alongside this, he was a nice man to talk to and from that, I was happy to use this picture for a final print.


I was confident in including this picture for a final print, and at the same time I was pleased I managed to reduce the sunlight on her face. Her facial expression implies to me that she is struggling to find a bargain, which was one of the points made in the brief that should be addressed. I feel I have managed to achieve this with the picture.


I thought this image told a humorous story of a man enjoying a newspaper in the sun with his eggs, whilst the wife goes around the shops. From that, I believed that showed how relaxing the atmosphere was at the market, which in turn gives a visual interpretation of the event. 


Again, I was not intending to select this picture for a final print, but peers and tutors preferred this one. I was not pleased with it at first as I could not get his hands in the shot and the sunlight on his stomach looked odd, but his face does tell a story and the Mod graphics allow us to get an idea of what his likes are. Also, I enjoyed having a conversation with him so having this picture for a final print seemed to be a good choice.


Yet again, I was not planning on choosing this for a final print, but comments from Tim about the character of him made me think twice. I also love his facial expression, as it suggests his interest in what is being sold at the market. Seeing this printed on A4 made me glad I chose this for a final print.  


I absolutely loved this image of the two elderly ladies. There facial expressions definitely add to them analysing the piece of meat, which can link with them looking for a bargain. I was determined to use this picture for a final print, and I am pleased I did. 


I thought this image contributed well on reporting about the market. Seeing the buyer and seller in communication adds to the informal atmosphere. As well as this, seeing how casually the seller was dressed showcases how laid-back the market is. I thought this was an interesting comparison to a supermarket and from that, using this picture for a final print was a must.  


Out of all the musician pictures, I preferred this one the most. I thought the man playing the piano was not as interesting compared to the man with the trumpet, as having his hat on the instrument adds to the character of him. Seeing a live music band at a market was unique and I am glad I got at least one picture I was satisfied with.


I was seriously impressed that I managed to capture an interesting character at the market. His beard caught my eye and from that, I was fixed on capturing him at the market. Without question, he had to be included in the final print as it implies the variety of people you meet at a local market.


The man's facial expression, the way he is checking out the cheese and him holding the newspaper all contribute to telling a story about this man. The image suggests that this man is picking out a cheese he is happy with, and from that he will take it home and enjoy it whilst reading his paper. Putting this story together emphasises how chilled out the market scene is...


This was pointed out as a surreal image by Tim as the toy dog was believed to be a real one at first. At the same time, I appreciated the thinking of the seller by showing off the product in a unique and clever way. I am also pleased that I managed to increase the readability of the sign as I thought that was a significant contribution to the scene.


This final image was one of my favourites from all the shoots. Along with the vibrant colours, I love how you could see the boxes in the background, the clothes hanging off the wall and the scattering of items. I believe this image is a true representation of a local market and had to be used for a final print!

Overall, I have found this project to be a great opportunity in boosting my confidence interacting with people and at the same time, increasing my love and passion for photography. The 85mm lens has been a treat to use with my chosen theme, along with producing great quality photos. I am really looking forward to photographing more events over the Summer...

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment