Monday 17 February 2014

Reflective review

During my week off at university, I am required to reflect back on the four graphics projects I have done and to see how much I have developed over this time. 

Project One

1. I have already shown the stages I went through for the first project (which can be seen here: http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-first-uni-project-thinking-with-type.html) so I do not need to repeat myself. 

2. Three things I have learnt from this project were that InDesign can be used not just for creating magazine pages. For my final major project on the Foundation course last year, I used InDesign a lot to create a motorsport magazine. Completing this project made me realise that this software can be used for other purposes (the grid system came in very handy). 
I also learnt that taking risks is fine. My time at university is a great opportunity to do this and I was struggling to come up with an abstract design using my font, so choosing a graphic design word was risky compared to what my peers were designing. 
The final thing I learnt from this project was that I did not have to include every artist that was mentioned in the project. On the first week, I spent a lot of time researching images that probably would have not been influential to me so I know for next time to just include people I will find beneficial to me. From that, I could spend the other time to complete development sheets. 

3. Three skills I had and was able to demonstrate in the project was being able to know my way round InDesign. As mentioned previously, I had already used the software a lot on my Foundation so I was not a total beginner using it. 
I was also able to show that I could come up with various ideas. Anything that pops up in my head I will draw out as any idea is not a bad idea.  
As well as this, again the experience I gained on the Foundation came in handy as I had already done abstract letterforms. I enjoyed doing these and was happy to develop my ideas further with a different font. 

4. Three things I wished I did differently if I started the project again would be to read the brief properly again, as I made a few silly mistakes early on. For example, on my first abstract letterform sheet, I used a different letter for each box, when what I should have done was use one letter for each row (you can see this on the hyperlink above). I was a bit rusty starting uni but I have learnt from that error and I now thoroughly read the brief.  
Next time, I would like to be more creative with my ideas, and form my letters into pieces of art. Instead of doing the graphic design words, I wished I focused on merging a few letters together. 
Also, I would use a grid system earlier on in my design ideas as I would have not known how to structure my piece correctly without this. I realised how beneficial the grid system was when completing my A3 drawings, so I would definitely use the grids earlier on.

5. The biggest problem I encountered on this project was trying to get the layout right for the 'connect' piece. On most of my ideas, I noticed I had too much white space on show (especially being on A2 for the final piece). Because of that, I had to split up the word to fulfill the space I had. It was what I did not want to do at first but in the end it turned out to be the better design.  

Project Two

1. Moving onto project two (packaging), again I have already posted the stages of this (which can be seen here: http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-second-uni-project-packaging.html). 

2. Three things I learnt from this project were being able to use the pen tool on Illustrator. I have normally avoided using it but I wanted to have a go and take myself out of my comfort zone. Even though I only used it to draw a Tic Tac, I am a lot more confident using this tool effectively. 
I also learnt how to work with nets. I have not done that before so it was a great opportunity to figure out the way of linking all the sides together (especially the Red Bull and Tic Tac nets!)
Finally, I have learnt how to analyse brand packaging better, especially with what colours and type they use to help convince the customer to buy their products. It is a step further in the way I analyse my research. 

3. Three skills I already had and used effectively in this project were being able to write detailed annotation about my work. As I am not beside the person marking my mark, I like to make sure the examiner is clear on what decisions I took and the process of how I completed a piece of work. 
I also showed that I was able to complete plenty of research to get loads of ideas to inspire me. Within the two chosen categories I selected (energy drinks and chewing gum), I wanted to make sure I had a broad range of packaging designs to give me inspiration.  
As well as these skills, I showed that I could develop my chosen ideas further by creating them on the Mac. I managed to display that I did not discard any designs until I made them on Illustrator. 

4. If I were to start this project again, I would definitely try to get an equal amount of brand values shown better in my designs. For instance, on the 'energy gum' designs, I only took the box of the chewing gum brands and replaced the design with an energy drink brand. Next time, I would like to challenge myself and mix both packaging designs better. 
It could also be a possibility that I would try various nets on all my designs instead of just the one, just to show I have considered other options.
I would also take my favourite idea and develop it first on one net and then apply it to other nets, instead of developing my best idea as I used the other nets like I did on this project. I would then have a better understanding of what net would work best. 

5. The biggest problem I encountered on this project was using the pen tool. I struggled a lot getting to grips with it as I found the tool very difficult to make understandable shapes. From that, the Tic Tac design was my best choice as I could draw basic images without too much difficulty.       

Project Three

1. With project three (designing for screen), it was more about the development process than producing a final result. For the first stage of the project, I created a timeline of my life (see image 1), in which I included areas in my life that have been influential for me. I then did a comparison of Creative Review and Design Week's paper based and online magazines. I also did some research into blogs to determine which one I would use to publish my work (blogger being my choice). 

Image 1
After that, I did further research into paper based navigations that I found influential (can be seen here: http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/my-influences-for-this-project.html). From that, I completed some thumbnail drawings for paper based navigations (see images 2-5) and then worked on some prototypes (they can be seen here: http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/prototype-making.html). 

Image 2

Image 3
Image 4

Image 5

Finished with the paper based navigations, I moved onto web based navigations. I started by categorising my timeline into various subjects and bite-size chunks (see image 6). After that, I worked on various navigation maps to present my data (see images 7-8).

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Following from that, I did some research into a theme I could use across my drawings. Once I had my theme I worked on various screen drawings and adding colour to my favourite drawings (all can be seen here: http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/going-underground.html and http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/update-on-my-drawings.html). 

2. Three things I learnt from this project were various ways of making webpages/apps creative and not static. The ones my tutor showed me influenced me in designing my wireframes.
I also learnt how to make pop-up pages. I was struggling at first, but I self-taught myself and managed to achieve some decent results. 
Alongside this, when completing my research, I learnt that work related to my main subject can also be beneficial. I was inspired to do this with my London Underground research and it proved to be effective. 

3. Three skills I already had and was able to use were trying out various ideas with my drawings, which I evidenced well in my London Underground thumbnails. 
I gathered plenty of research to help improve my knowledge and ideas for paper based/web based navigations   
I came across a problem and was able to solve it myself.

4. Three things I would do different if I started the project again would be to evident my research into creative webpages/apps. I did see them in a lecture by my tutor but I didn't show any images in my workbook.
I would like to add more colour to other thumbnail drawings, other than just my favourite ideas as this will show I have developed other designs further.
Try and be more experimental with the paper based navigations. I think I did plenty of pop-up pages so the next step for me would be try other alternatives.

5. The biggest problem I encountered on the project was trying to create effective pop-up pages. I tried a landscape format at first but that did not work. But once I did some research into techniques, I realised I had to set the book portrait for the pop-ups to work. It was not my preferred choice but it was pleasing to see the pop-up pages work.  

Project Four

1. The last project I completed was about infographics. I started off my brainstorming some ideas with my group, got the questionnaire completed by the graphics group I work with and then organised the data to see what themes I could go forward with (see image 1). 

Image 1

The rest of the stages of this project can be seen here: http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/new-project-research.html and http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/developmentconclusion-of-project-four.html. 

2. Three things I learnt from this project was that data can be beautiful to look at.
Adding colour can help cement ideas. When I included colour on my sports results infographic (inspired by Keith Haring) I was sold on the design and wanted to develop it further. 
The original thumbnail drawing will change. I thought when I first drew my sports results infographic it was brilliant and did not need major changes. However, having feedback from my tutor and peers prompted me to make edits that made the original drawing completely different to the final piece. 

3. Three skills I could use in this project were being able to use the paint brush tool on Illustrator. I have had a bit of experience using it on my Foundation course and I am a lot more confident using that compared to the pen tool. 
I also could abstract ideas as much as I can and then convert them into concepts. I feel I have done this to a few of my thumbnail drawings.
I always plan on taking advantage of the sources available at my uni. In this case, I managed to photograph the pages inside the book 'Information is Beautiful'. This was a massive help in thinking of design ideas.

4. If I were to start this project again, I would make sure my design ideas are not too alike to my research (my sports results infographic and Keith Haring). If it was a live brief, I would avoid copying my research as I do not want to be faced with a copyright issue.  
I would like to add colour to more ideas for a comparison. That would increase my development.
From that, I would like to try a few more ideas on Illustrator/Photoshop, again to see what design I could go further with. I felt with this brief I favourited the sports infographic and should have spent more time on developing other thumbnail drawings.  

5. The biggest problem I had with this project was trying to find a way of presenting my data on my infographic creatively. At times, the text proved to be lackluster in comparison to my drawings or did not look right against the figurines. However, I managed to find a great combination that I was very satisfied with. 


6. Moving onto discussing all the projects, I would say my favourite pieces of work were the Tic Tac packaging and the sports infographic. This was due to the amount of hours I spent working on them using software I was not fully confident on, which inspired me to complete them to a high standard. I was very satisfied with both pieces.





7. Looking back at all four projects, the areas I could work on to improve myself and the quality of my work would be to know what the brief is asking. Especially on project one, I made a few mistakes due to the fact it was not what the brief was requiring. I will also make sure I collect research for all areas of the brief so I can have a wide knowledge of various sections and will hopefully improve my ideas. As well as these, I would like to develop more of my ideas using various colours, type and layouts. Doing this would broaden my development. Finally, I would like to try and make more ideas on software to help me decide what design I would go further with, instead of favouriting one. 

8. Lastly, if I had a chance on the next project, I would love to make a final product that is just not restricted to being on a screen/paper. It would be great to have a piece that could be printed on a 3D object (like a box or a crate). The image below shows off something I possibly would like to try if I had the opportunity (artist is Alan Herron).  


Focusing on photography research and collecting props for my photo-shoots this week. I am quite excited for that along with the trip to London for the 4 Designers conference this Sunday too, should be good!

Mike

Reference:
Alan Herron picture - http://mph94.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/developmentconclusion-of-project-four.html

No comments:

Post a Comment