Monday 7 April 2014

Project Five: Self Promotion

Apologies for not posting for a while, I have been very busy preparing this project for the deadline... So this is going to be a long post!

This graphics project I have been working on is all about self-promotion and emphasising who I am as a designer. I have really enjoyed the project, with plenty of ideas flowing and seeing the final products being developed got me very excited!



Going back to the start, I began with a mind-map. I wrote down all my favourite art styles I find influential when coming up with designs, along with my hobbies and interests outside of graphic design and photography. 


From that, I moved onto researching these art styles further. I started off with Cubism. I am interested by this art movement as I love the abstract geometric forms portrayed in these pieces of art and learning about how these paintings were completed (the subject would be painted at different vantage points) helped me understand the purpose of Cubism and what would be achieved. I would like to include this style into my design ideas. 


Next I looked at Swiss Style. I appreciate the cleanliness and simplicity of this art movement as I feel this symbolises Graphic Design well. With the use of grids and geometric shapes, I adore how every art piece has a structure to it and is well organised. I find this movement to be a beautiful way of reading information and I would like to apply this style to my ideas.


I moved onto researching Pop Art. I have been a fan of this since my time at high school as I love the bright, eccentric colours and the story these art pieces tell. They remind of comics I used to read as a child. If I have the opportunity on this project, I would love to attempt a pop art piece.


As well as taking interest in historic art movements, I am also a fan of street art. I find this to be imaginative and full of creativity, along with displaying political messages. I appreciate how they break from tradition to tackle current events occurring in the world. I want to improve my skills in using spray cans so these artists are inspirational to me.


I also completed some research into my interests. Coldplay are one of my favourite bands and I adored their artwork for the album Mylo Xyloto. I love the imagination and colours used as it links with the magic Coldplay produce in their music. With one of my idea's I am thinking so far, I could possibly re-create this vivid album cover, so very exciting times ahead! 


After attending the 4 Designers conference, one designer that caught my eye was Morag Myerscough. I was intrigued by her work as it was luminous, eye-catching and thought it linked with my artistic style. I shall be aiming to achieve similar results she has done with her work.


Completing plenty of research, I moved onto creating some ideas. For the first design I took inspiration from the BMW art cars. The idea would be to take a real car and apply the various art styles that inspire me onto the car. However, being able to find a cheap car to buy, finding the space to apply the artwork and transporting the car to university would create huge difficulties so I was happy to discard this idea. 


Linking in with my passion of motorsport, this idea is all about renting a garage space at a local motor racing circuit and hanging up pieces of artwork that inspires me. But after careful thought, I think I would struggle a lot trying to organise a garage space and just displaying my artwork would not show my creative side. Because of this, I was not going forward with this idea.


On this idea, my focus was on producing an area that appeared as brick walls. From that, I would use a mixture of paint cans and present my favourite artwork to display my creative thoughts. It is a step further in terms of not just hanging up other people's work but I am not fully confident using paint cans and with a limited time to create this final piece, I thought it would be best to consider other ideas that are within my skills.


After watching a Top Gear episode, I thought it would be a great idea to make a mood room, showcasing my favourite art movements/photographers that inspire me with my designs. The area would be the size of a shed and the curtains would imply that you are entering my creative mind. So far, this is my favourite idea and would like to develop it further (especially in ways of displaying the artwork).


To get an idea of what to include in my mood room, I researched mood boards. I can clearly see they are a collage of images that help a designer create ideas and to help a designer take a certain direction. From that, my confidence in the mood room idea has grown as I will be displaying the various types of artwork I find influential in creating my designs. 


I found the previous idea too basic in terms of showing off the artwork. From that, I thought of creating a massive collage which I think is a lot more visually exciting. On the other hand, I do not think I am excelling myself by just having other people's artwork/photography on show, so I need to think of other ways that display my creative ability...


This idea is a lot more creative but could be a massive risk. The plan would be to take my favourite art pieces and apply myself onto them (drawn examples on show). I think this is a step further from my previous ideas but at the same time, I do not think I would have enough time to produce all the artwork. Also taking on feedback from my tutor, I do not want to face copyright issues with these so I think it would be best to suggest other alternatives.


Instead of having the artwork on posters, I thought it would be an interesting idea to place the artwork onto merchandise products that people could take away. But after talking with my tutors, this style has been done many times and is lacking originality. I need to think of an idea that shows I am thinking outside the box and displays who I am as a designer...


To get an idea of how much this mood room will cost to build, I did some research on B&Q. Realising the cost and time it will take to produce this, I am fully sure I do not want to continue with design idea 4. Therefore, it is back to the drawing board...


After talking with my tutors again, I have thought of an idea that is manageable within my skills and emphasises my likes (artwork and hobbies). The plan is to create a car out of foam or card which has my favourite pieces of artwork on them. Alongside this, I would also have a business card and a few posters to link in with the self-promotion. I am a lot happier and confident with this idea and am very excited to develop it further!


Interested in design idea 5, I did some research into various ways of building model cars. The Airfix model cars came to my mind and I found a video showing how one was built. I appreciate all the details and how the car is built but I think this is too complicated for me to complete and thinking about the target audience, I do not think everyone could complete this complex model. From that, I am going to research simpler car models. 


I found these cardboard cars online and instantly thought these would be better to make than the Airfix model car. I also noticed the card looked to be of high quality which would improve the stability of the car. However, I could not find a template for this and there does not appear to be enough room to place my photography on them. I shall look elsewhere...


After a discussion with my tutor, I decided to look at foam planes (which were the main inspiration for the car nets idea). In terms of putting the pieces together, I admire the simplicity of these as they can appeal to a wide range of people. In comparison to the Airfix model car, I much prefer how easier and time effective making these planes were. However, I want to make sure the colours are more eye-catching and not washed out like they are on these pieces.


This is a template of a new shape Mini I found off the internet. I attempted to put this together but struggled a lot so I am discarding this template. I am going to have a look for other ones that are within my capabilities of making. 


This was my first attempt at making this Mini template. The size was roughly A4 when it was printed and I could easily see that the net needed to be larger. I found it very difficult trying to stick the pieces together so I am going to make a duplicate on Illustrator myself. At the same time, I much prefer this net to the other one as I can understand how the pieces fit together. 


After finally selecting the car template I want to make and it is an old Mini, I would love to have three car nets in the colours of The Italian Job cars. The old version of the film is one of my favourite movies so it would be a great opportunity to show my interests in the exhibition. 


This was my second attempt at the Mini net. I traced the original net on Illustrator using the pen tool (which I am a lot more confident using!). Making my own net has expanded my freedom in what I can do to the car, like changing the colour and placing my images on it. In terms of sticking it together, the larger size has helped (A3 size now) but I realised those smaller flaps (on the original net) were a massive help in manoeuvring the paper better. Therefore, I am going to re-trace the original net and add those extra flaps. Hopefully this will improve the process of making my Mini!


These are my best motorsport pictures I have taken myself. I have selected a range of images that emphasise the speed of the cars whilst others showcase the cars in exciting scenes. Hopefully I will be able to fit them on the cars! 


Attempt number 3 has been a massive improvement. Adding those smaller flaps made a huge difference and did help me mould the shape of the Mini better! Also, adding the colour and images has been another huge step in development and is giving me a hint of what the final products will look like. Still, a few minor edits can be made like reducing the size of the picture on the roof and I will paint over the gaps as suggested by the original net as it has made a few bits stick out of place. Despite this, the potential is strong.


I made those changes to attempt number 4. The picture on the roof looks better so I will leave that. However, making this net was harder than the previous one so after careful thought, I might go back to version 3 and just change that roof. I think adding those gaps do make a difference and now that my confidence has grown making the net, I am hoping the pieces stick together better. 


My fifth attempt at the car net was the best yet. I have finally managed to understand the process of sticking the pieces together and my photos look great on the car. I am now confident in completing the other two cars.


Completing the white car was easier again as I did not have to re-paint the car and I found a way of sticking the bonnet to the windscreen better (my main problem on the red car). My confidence has vastly improved since the first attempt!


Again, I am really pleased with the blue Mini. The pictures can be seen clearly and the car net links with The Italian Job Mini's. Now that I am satisfied with sticking these nets together, I will move onto printing them on card ready for the exhibition.  


These are my final Mini nets that were printed on card. Despite not being able to use the laser cutter on the nets, I am still very satisfied with the final result. I found the card to be much better for sticking the pieces together and improved the rigidity of the cars. Regarding the group shots, I positioned them to replicate famous scenes from The Italian Job movie. 
Overall, these Mini's have been stressful completing at times but I am more than pleased with the final result. I cannot wait to present them at the exhibition! 


These are a few business card design ideas I have thought of. I am incorporating the art movement Swiss Style as I think this suits the purpose of a business card (readability and minimalism). I am looking forward to having a go creating these on Photoshop first.


These are my six business card ideas I created on Photoshop. I am not that fully satisfied with these as I am not connecting with them and they are a bit boring. I am going to look back at my Swiss Style research and see if I can find any influences.


I tried two other business card ideas and I am much happier with them. The text and shapes are more adventurous and I love having my initials in the middle on the back. Overall, I am really happy with idea 7 and I would like to try out different colours for development purposes.


I am glad I developed idea 7. I was not sure with the red background as I found it too bright. Having the black background and white text does make my business card appear professional and the text can be understood. Alongside this, I prefer the blue on the bottom right business card as it breaks up the monochrome colours and adds a bit of sophistication to the product. From that, I am going to create this piece properly on InDesign.


These are screenshots of my business card on InDesign. I found the grid system to be a massive help as it has allowed the text to have a structure and they are aligned correctly. As well as this, I completed a test print. In terms of colour and composition, the colours are clear to see and the text can be read, which boosts my confidence in printing this out properly. I am really satisfied with the final design and it shall be interesting printing this on card!


I have attempted a quick sketch of an idea for the poster. My tutor thought it would be great for me to have a 'theatrical standee' on show and I believe we have the materials to complete this. I would also love the standee to be 3D as well and will be great to display my motorsport photography. 


When my tutor mentioned about creating a 'theatrical standee', I was unsure what they were. After completing some research, I like the potential of making a 3D version using my motorsport photography. I will come up with a design and see how I can take this further.


Taking time to reflect on the theatrical standee, I am thinking about having pictures of three cars I have photographed and my initials at the top. By using these, I am emphasising the 3D effect these standees are able to show off. The potential of this is very exciting!


After receiving this through the post, the front cover instantly caught my eye. I love the streamlined illustrations of the cars and bike and the light wave effects. I am considering adopting a similar style to my poster.


After talking with my tutor's, I realised that the university might not have the right tools to produce a theatrical standee, so I have thought of another alternative which is to create a large poster (A0/A1 size) for the background of my exhibition space. The inspiration came from the MSV booklet I analysed. I will be using Illustrator to complete this as I love the pen tool at the moment and the poster will not pixelate. Overall, I much prefer this idea and I am very excited creating this!


These are my illustrations I have done on Illustrator for the poster. I thought it would be a great opportunity to use my motorsport photography again as I could use my pictures as a basis to develop my idea. It also links highly with my passion of motorsport, photography and graphic design. I am looking forward to develop these further!


1. I have included a black background on my poster and changed the colour of the illustrations to white. I have named the poster 'The Mike Holden Job' in reference to The Italian Job. 
2. I used a much nicer brush stroke which gave my illustrations a smoother and softer appearance. 
3. I was struggling with the outer glow on Illustrator, so I moved the illustrations to Photoshop (as a vector). I included a red outer glow which makes them stand out.
4. Next, I used a paint brush stroke I downloaded from the internet to imitate the speed of the cars. I used a dark blue colour as it links with the red, white and blue Mini's and it was not a colour that did not take the limelight away from the cars. 
5. I re-positioned the cars as I found on the fourth picture there was too much space on show. I also partly changed the colour of the text as I found the white to be a bit boring. I chose a slightly darker red as I did not want this to take the attention away from the cars. 
6. After getting feedback, I decided to re-position the cars again. I am glad I did this as it appears like they are racing. 


Overall, I am really pleased how the poster has turned out and am very excited to print this out A1 size!


After sorting out what final pieces I am making, I have considered the presentation of the exhibition space. I will have the poster in the background with the Mini's and my business card spread across the table. To link with my childhood memories and interests further, I will place my Mini's on a scalextric track as this was one of my favourite toys as a kid and increased my passion for motorsport. I am really looking forward to preparing my space!


These pictures show my final exhibition space. I am very satisfied with all the final products, with the hard work paying off! It feels brilliant seeing everything on show!

This is the last graphics project required to complete, with my focus now on the graphic design and photography essays and the reportage photography project. I have really enjoyed doing all the projects and has surprised me how quick this year has been! Now though, a bit of down-time is needed... 

Mike

References:

Cubism
Art experts. (n.d.). Robert Delaunay (1870-1943). Retrieved from Art experts: http://www.artexpertswebsite.com/pages/artists/delaunay_r.php
Fabulous Masterpieces. (n.d.). Retrieved from Fabulous Masterpieces: http://www.fabulousmasterpieces.co.uk/page64.htm
Moysan, S. (n.d.). Galerie de tableaux : Le Cubisme. Retrieved from Éternels Éclairs: http://www.eternels-eclairs.fr/cubisme-tableaux-gris-gleizes-metzinger-leger-lefauconnier.php#metzinger
Pablo Picasso Paintings. (n.d.). Pablo Picasso cubism. Retrieved from Pablo Picasso Paintings: http://pablo-picasso.paintings.name/
Tate. (n.d.). Albert Gleizes. Retrieved from Tate: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/albert-gleizes-1178
Tate. (n.d.). Georges Braque. Retrieved from Tate: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/georges-braque-803

Swiss Style
1, I. T. (2011, October 26). I cuoldn’t tihnk of a tilte tihs week. Retrieved from —tuesdayblues: http://tuesdayblues.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/61/
Costelloe, M. (2011, May 15). Anthology 2. Retrieved from Marcus' Graphic Design Blog: http://marcusgraphicdesignblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/anthology-2.html
Design Is History. (n.d.). Emil Ruder. Retrieved from Design Is History : http://www.designishistory.com/1940/emil-ruder/
Design Is History. (n.d.). JOSEPH MÜLLER-BROCKMANN. Retrieved from Design Is History: http://www.designishistory.com/1940/joseph-mueller-brockmann/
Minimalissimo. (n.d.). Posters by Emil Ruder. Retrieved from Minimalissimo: http://minimalissimo.com/2010/10/posters-by-emil-ruder/
Poynor, R. (n.d.). ARMIN HOFMANN. Retrieved from AIGA: http://www.aiga.org/medalist-arminhofmann/
rodders88. (2008, December 23). Josef Muller Brockmann . Retrieved from Rod’s Blog: http://rhodrievans.wordpress.com/2008/12/23/josef-muller-brockmann/

Pop Art
Black, F. (2012, October 1). Roy Lichtenstein at Tate Modern. Retrieved from FRIDAY NIGHT BOYS: http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/roy-lichtenstein-at-tate-modern.html
Christie's. (2010, October 21). Andy Warhol's Campbell’s Soup Can (Tomato), 1962. Retrieved from Christie's: http://www.christies.com/features/2010-october-andy-warhol-campbells-soup-can-tomato-1022-1.aspx
Contemporary Art Daily. (n.d.). Retrieved from Contemporary Art Daily: http://www.contemporaryartdaily.com/2013/04/love-is-colder-than-capital-at-kunsthaus-bregenz/k_haring_1983-2/
design lovrs. (2009, June 29). O Príncipe da Pop Art – Andy Warhol (Pop Art 2). Retrieved from d <3 lovrs: http://www.designlovrs.com.br/2009/07/o-principe-da-pop-art-andy-warhol-pop-art-2/
the warhol. (n.d.). work gallery. Retrieved from the warhol: http://www.warhol.org/andy_work.aspx?id=685
Traci, S. E. (2011, June 2). Keith Haring Takeover. Retrieved from In the Studio: http://sarahelizabethellis.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/keith-haring-takeover.html
Yancey, B. a. (2011, January 13). Roy Lichtenstein's Pop Art. Retrieved from braxton and yancey: http://braxtonandyancey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/roy-lichtensteins-pop-art.html

Street Art
fluff007. (2013, February 23). Banksy Arrested In London, Identity Revealed. Retrieved from ATS: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread928760/pg1
Green, J. (2011, May 25). Kenny Scharf's Houston Street Mural Is Up (PHOTOS). Retrieved from Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/30/kenny-scharfs-houston-str_n_790009.html
PR Web. (2006, January 6). 'Obey' Artist Shepard Fairey at Wax Poetic Gallery. Retrieved from PR Web: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/01/prweb329121.htm
Prance, S. (2013, November 19). Banksy: friend or foe? Retrieved from Prancing Through LIFE: http://prancingthroughlife.com/2013/11/19/banksy-friend-or-foe/
StreetArtNews. (2011, January 12). Shepard Fairey settles the Obama 'Hope' image Case. Retrieved from Street Art News: http://www.streetartnews.net/2011/01/shepard-fairey-settles-obama-hope-image.html

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto
Brendan. (2011, August 12). Coldplay’s New Album ‘Mylo Xyloto’ Details + Album Art. Retrieved from Music underfire: http://musicunderfire.com/2011/08/coldplay-new-album-mylo-xyloto-details-album-art.html
Lucas, S. (2011, September 24). Coldplay – La Era Mylo Xyloto. Retrieved from http://blogsantiagosoul.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/coldplay-la-era-mylo-xyloto/
NICHOLAS_PROCH. (2011, November 8). coldplay-mylo-xyloto-album-cover-art-hd-2011. Retrieved from The Recorder: http://centralrecorder.com/2011/11/07/album-review-coldplay/coldplay-mylo-xyloto-album-cover-art-hd-2011/

Morag Myerscough
Amy. (2013, May 30). Recap of session 5 written by Louise Byng. Retrieved from Birmingham 2022: https://birmingham2022.wordpress.com/author/45queen/
Davis, A. (2013, September 28). The Pavilion by Morag Myerscough. Retrieved from de zeen magazine: http://www.dezeen.com/2013/09/28/the-pavilion-by-morag-myerscough-and-luke-morgan/
Morag Myerscough. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://studiomyerscough.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Movement_Cafe_Morag-Myerscough.jpg
Morag Myerscough. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://studiomyerscough.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/morag-myerscough-vitalarts-Barts-and-The-London-Hospital.jpg
Morag Myerscough. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://studiomyerscough.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Vinyl_Lounge_Morag-Myerscough1.jpg
University of the Arts London. (n.d.). Fit. London 2012 Inspired Posters by contemporary British-based graphic designers. Retrieved from University of the Arts London: http://blogs.arts.ac.uk/csm/2012/06/26/fit-london-2012/morag-myerscough-no-guts-no-glory/

Idea 1 - BMW art cars
35 ans d’Art Car. (n.d.). Retrieved from Art Fizz!: http://www.artfizz.fr/2010/09/35-ans-dart-car/
AUSmotive. (2010, June 7). BMW Art Car by Jeff Koons to race at Le Mans 24 hour. Retrieved from AUSmotive: http://www.ausmotive.com/2010/06/07/bmw-art-car-by-jeff-koons-to-race-at-le-mans-24-hour.html
BLitz23. (2010, April 7). Jeff Koons To Design the 17th Art BMW (And A Really Good Look At The Other 16). Retrieved from Daily Update Interior House Design: http://dailyupdateinteriorhousedesign.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/jeff-koons-to-design-17th-art-bmw-and.html
BMW Art Cars. (2011, December 6). Retrieved from Super Rad Now: http://superradnow.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/bmw-art-cars/

Idea 4 - Top Gear
TopGear. (2013, May 19). Building an Electric Car - Now in Full HD - Top Gear - Series 14 - BBC. Retrieved from Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0seCNxRUmI

Mood rooms
Amphletts. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://amphletts.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/mood-board-001.jpg
Brady, L. (n.d.). Mood Board... Retrieved from LaurenBrady: http://dhsmedialbrady.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/mood-board.html
DaintyStain. (2013). GCSE ART YEAR 11: Mood Board. Retrieved from Deviant Art: http://daintystain.deviantart.com/art/GCSE-ART-YEAR-11-Mood-Board-436438732
Egbula, M. (2011, March 11). The Mood for March: Must Have Colors. Retrieved from Sensational Color: http://www.sensationalcolor.com/liveinfullcolor/the-mood-for-march-must-have-colors/
Lloyd, P. (2013, March 8). Visual design explorations. Retrieved from Clearleft: http://clearleft.com/thinks/visualdesignexplorations/
loCLIC. (2009, October 13). Mood Board. Retrieved from Clic online: http://www.cliconline.co.uk/en/news/mood-board/00962.html
Roohani, M. (2009, May 10). Let’s boldly go to the movies . Retrieved from Michele Roohani: http://micheleroohani.com/blog/2009/05/10/lets-boldly-go-to-the-movies/
Thomas, P. W. (2006, July 17). Fashion Trends 2007. Retrieved from Fashion-era: http://www.fashion-era.com/trends_2007a/2007_fall_fashion_trends_mood_boards_colours_2006_7.htm
Week 3: Moodboard. (n.d.). Retrieved from TAYLORS2DDKANGJIMROY: http://taylors2ddkangjimroy.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/week-3-moodboard/

Airfix model car
ECAmodels. (2013, July 7). Airfix 1:32 Ford Fiesta RS WRC Step by step photo build guide. Retrieved from Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSbgp3aZbBI

Createa-car
Not on the high street. (n.d.). Personalised Cardboard Toy Car. Retrieved from Not on the high street: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/nubie/product/personalised-creata-car

New Mini car template
Paper Cars. (n.d.). Paper Car Style Shop. Retrieved from Papercars.net: http://www.papercars.net/newMini.html

Old Mini car template
Kamigei. (2001, December 21). Austin MINI Cooper. Retrieved from Papercraft: http://www.kamigei.com/mini.html

Theatrical standees
Brechtbug. (2011, June 13). Green Lantern Corps Theater Poster Standee 1656. Retrieved from flickrriver: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/93779577@N00/5831540060/
Hollywood, J. i. (2012, January 9). TRIO DAY: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax movie billboards.. Retrieved from Daily Billboard blog: http://www.dailybillboardblog.com/2012/01/trio-day-dr-seuss-lorax-movie.html
Lester, J. ". (2011, May 16). Cool Standee For Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Retrieved from Comic Book Movie: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=37355
NerdyGeek. (2012, July 25). JAMES BOND: Brand New SKYFALL Theater Standee Spotted. Retrieved from Comic Book Movie: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NerdyGeek/news/?a=64532
NEWSFROMBREE. (2012, October 25). Exclusive: The Hobbit Theater Standee Revealed! Retrieved from The One Ring: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/10/25/63890-exclusive-the-hobbit-theater-standee-revealed/
Wilding, J. (2012, April 22). New Theatre Standee For DARK SHADOWS Spotted At CinemaCon 2012. Retrieved from Comic Book Movie: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=58402

No comments:

Post a Comment